You may not hear the creatures stirring this holiday season but you can be sure that they are still there! Just because it is cold outside doesn’t mean that house pests have died off. Many pests can stay active all winter long. That’s why it’s important to take steps to prevent their infiltration into your home or place of business.
Here are a few tips to help control winter pest problems…
- Eliminate food sources. Keep the holiday sweets and treats stored in sealed containers to avoid having pests like the stink bug come out of their winter hibernation.
- Check for pests before you bring the outdoor decor indoors. Give the live trees and garland a good shake and check them for pests or eggs before bringing them into your home.
- When decking the halls be sure to inspect your decorations when unpacking them from storage. Be on the lookout for mouse dropping or naw marks.
- When re-packing the decor away be sure to store it in durable containers to keep unwanted pests out and protect your holiday decorations.
- Store firewood away from your home (at least 20 feet) and on an elevated surface. When bringing it indoors make sure you inspect it first.
If you suspect a winter pest problem out of your control call a professional to help eliminate it. ProTech Pest Control of Northern Virginia offers pest control services year round to prevent infestations. Contact them today to have your home or business inspected and prepared for pests no matter what the season!