Every summer we anticipate the arrival of the dreaded mosquito to crash our backyard BBQs and parties. Luckily there are steps you can take to help keep mosquitoes and the spread of mosquito-borne illnesses at bay. Simple steps such as removing water sources can help keep your yard and neighborhood mosquito-free. Here are a few important ways to help keep mosquitoes away from your home all summer long:
1. Don’t overwater your yard and garden. Standing water becomes a source for mosquito eggs to be deposited and to develop.
2. Empty bird baths (& kiddie pools) at least once a week and replenish water.
3. Remove standing water from potted plant saucers.
4. Make sure trash can lids are on cans and not turned over to serve as water reservoirs.
5. Clean gutters on house and make sure water is flowing properly away from home.
6. Rain barrels for catching rainwater should be screened at the surface to prevent mosquitoes from laying eggs.
7. Cover all trash and recycle receptacles with tight-fitting lids to prevent water inside.
8. Keep swimming pools drained or covered during off months, and treated properly during the summer season.
At times these measures may not successfully stop the infestation before it begins and professional help may be needed. ProTech Pest of Northern Virginia offers a complete program to prevent mosquito hatching on the exterior of your home. Contact ProTech Pest for more information on their once monthly program and have a mosquito-free summer.